Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kitchen Prep: Mise en Place

Get Organized:



Label your stove dials, oven controls, microwave buttons, blender panel, and all other appliances in an accessible way. I use puff paint at each mark on the stove dial and microwave button. I have enough vision to use my iPad camera zoom feature to read the oven controls. Remember: the Braille labeler is your friend! You can’t possibly memorize every control, bottle of seasoning, or tool, so don’t try. Memory mistakes can leave your dinner guests gagging at best, and hospitalized at worst. If the space youre trying to label isnt large enough for a full Braille label, use this handy technique my roommate, the microbiologist, cooked up. Just Braille label (or large print) a single number. Then refer to that number on an accessible spreadsheet or computer document that contains the corresponding entry. Ergo, 1) Basil, 2) Thyme 3) Cayenne pepper, etc. If the labels are interchangeable, like with magnetic label tape for cans of soup say, dont let your mischievous friends mix them up on you as a gag. Instead, use the same ones and just change the spreadsheet as needed.   Thanks, roommie! Why didnt I think of that?



I definitely do NOT recommend using the Raizen Braille labeler. If you can find a 3M model, let me know where.



Keep handy wet wipes and some all-purpose cleaner. You’ll be using your hands a lot to locate sticky, gooey, and otherwise fun-for-kids textured items. There will inevitably be spillage, so make a game of how many things you’ll dump on the floor and laugh about it. Make a safe spot for your accessible recipe that has the least chance of getting splattered or short-circuited. I use an iPad that lives in the corner that I am assured will not explode or electrocute anyone. I keep a baby carrot in my apron with a notch on the end that I grab and use like a stylus to control the tablet. It keeps the screen from getting dirty and works just as well as your finger. Just don’t accidentally grab the pointer end, defiling it as well as your tablet computer.



There will be more tips mixed in with subsequent entries and entrees.


1 comment:

  1. There are also relatively inexpensive styluses for the iPad (many with pens included as well) to allow for smoother, reliable control with a clear top and bottom (also works incase you run out of carrots or, as I fear I would, you eat your "stylus")

    ReplyDelete